Sunday, August 29, 2010

Truth or Dare


Today I attended a funeral service for a man who passed away from stroke complications. He was 56 and healthy, until he had his stroke. He then passed away in less than a week.

For people who live here in Japan, this place is their reality. They must live it daily.

And for me, the truth is that three months is quite a short time, nothing like a lifetime. I’m still a visitor.

But I’m glad to have been part of the sobering reality of life even just a few days into my stay here in Japan. It’s a reminder that not only is everyday a battle against the struggles of living, but also a struggle against time and what I have come here to do.

Tomorrow I head off to school and away from the sanctuaries of Shinkoiwa church. In the short two and a half days that I have spent here, I have already been prepared and reminded of what I am heading off into; a warzone under the guise of a Christian university.

I go with the understanding that now more than ever, I need to not just maintain, but seek further a relationship with Christ. I need to be intentional with my every action and words, and I need to keep in mind that the hourglass has already been put in motion.

P.S. two updates in two days is a record…this is a result of free time, not a pattern.

P.P.S. Did you know you can drag my turtles to their food so you don't have to wait for them to

swim there?

P.P.P.S. I never thought I would be eating dinner rolls so soon…PTL ETB

8 comments:

  1. Cally! I didn't get to comment on your previous post, but I read it! And ahh, praise God for all that he is doing in you already! It's so good to see so many updates :) and boy, you got a lot on your mind. I will be keeping you in my prayers.. POST-IT NOTE! For real. Which reminds me, you need to update me on your prayer requests. So I can write a newer post-it. Anyway. Yes. That is all. haha. Miss ya!

    p.s. I didn't know you can drag the turtles!!
    p.p.s. one of the turtles ate all the food by himself :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. funny how we live like we've got forever to do the things we should be doing now.

    I just dragged one of your turtles and bumped it against your other turtle and your other turtle spun out of control AHAHAHHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. playing with turtles can give you salmonella
    i know this sounds hostile... but i tried bumping your turtles to death... it does not work.

    alright calvin! here's to God's glory in Japan!

    meanwhile i will no longer try to hurt your turtles

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAH I tried the same thing Cho did. Are we sadistic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHHHHHHH

    That's what you meant when you kept saying "feed my turtles." I thought you really had pet turtles that you left with someone (..or just out in the public) and you were expecting us to feed them hahaha.

    Anyway, keep knowing that I'm praying that you would always hold on to Jesus and study hard at school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. warzone for sure dude.
    better pack some bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhahahah just got that "feed my turtles" after reading sam's message. AHAHAH i was so confused...

    savor your free time! ahhah before you know it, there won't be any left. :)

    ReplyDelete