Walking through the streets of Japan (Shinkoiwa to be exact), I can't help but notice the prevalence of culture. They say America is the land of many cultures, a melting pot of all sorts of people. I say America is a land that has many cultures and in its greed to fully embrace it all, has lost culture.
Here in Japan, where there is one predominant people group (the Japanese...duh...) culture and its effects are seen and felt in its full force. There is a lifestyle here of constant movement, of doing. Yet even in all the bustle, there is a culture of eerie peace, because it is a non-intrusive bustle. A "you do what you have to do and i'll do what i have to do" kind of mindset that sets people off to themselves. And in that sense, it's kind of intimidating.
I had small group with some Japanese church members today and they were sharing just how this dominant culture really intimidates the Japanese Christians to really speak out on their faith in fear of being judged; in stepping out of the boundaries of mutual respect and treading into the territories of infringement; of imposing ones ideas on another.
And so, there really is an understanding of stepping out in boldness for Christ here because the dichotomy between living for Christ and everything else thats not living for Christ is so blatant. Because stepping out for Christ is also stepping on the boundaries of culture.
But that's exactly what Christ taught his disciples to do. To be emboldened to the point that they must hate their mother or father in perspective to the amount they love Christ.
I share my testimony in sunday service tomorrow and go to my school campus on monday. Please join me in prayer as I strive to be above conformity and even culture, seeking as Christ taught us how to seek.
owari~
P.S. please feed my turtles
Do u kno which church ur gonna be staying at?
ReplyDeleteaww calvin i love this post :) will be praying for you~! <3 jhannn
ReplyDeleteyour turtles are too slow!!
ReplyDeletechange it back to feesh!
I'm praying for you carubin!
Good luck with your testimony!
i love your turtles- i give them food right in front of them because otherwise it takes forever for them to reach them. please keep updating! will be praying for you.
ReplyDeleteCalvin, you go do some damage in Japan for God's Kingdom. I miss you already buddy. I'll see you soon. Keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteI would argue that America's "no culture" is an uniquely American culture in itself. But then I'm just being nit-picky. :P
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for you, buddy.
did you read the short letter i gave you?
ReplyDeletewouldn't be surprised if you were giving your testimony right at this moment. sending prayers your way!
it's fun but chotto mendokusai dragging your turtles around b/c they're so slow...lol